Archives for posts with tag: sewing

I’ve been neglecting my blog – but not my 10-month-old! We have been so busy crawling, cruising, eating, climbing, clinging, investigating – and napping in 30-minute stretches – that it’s all I can do some days to sew a stitch, much less document it. This little project came together so quickly that it’s worth a nap to write it up! The idea came from our first trip to the pool this summer and a need for an easy way to dry off the Squish!For one baby beach kimono, you will need:

  • Two microfiber kitchen towels, about 15×25 inches (I got mine from the dollar store!)
  • Sewing machine, scissors, pins, and thread

That’s it!


Pre-wash your towels if you’d like (I did), then cut one in half width-wise. You now have two rectangles 15×12.5 inches.

Turn the cut end under about 1/4 inch and pin. This will be the center opening of your kimono.


Zigzag stitch over the raw edge. Or, if you’d like, turn the edge in once more and straight stitch. Either way is fine!


With right sides together, pin the cut rectangles to the second, whole towel. Pin straight across the top, but only pin halfway up the side. Be as precise as you choose! (I just found the center by folding and marking loosely with a finger.)


Sew along the top and two sides with a straig stitch, leaving the armholes open. Sew as close to the original hemmed edge as possible, or even catching into it. Then just turn it inside out…


And plop it on the nearest baby! (Bonus points if you’ve matched it to the baby’s eyes!) Size-wise, it ought to do for a child age 6 months up to at least 18 months.

Now to slather on the SPF and hit the water! Happy summer, y’all!

Advertisements

This year, I want it to be the Year of Completions! There are a very few quilts I have mentally set aside to create, but other than those, I want to minimize new endeavors and focus on finishing works-in-progress.
Quilts in progress:

 

Accidental Quilt

 
Quilts to begin:

Other sewing:

  • Baby gift for English friend
  • Cushion covers for sofa
  • Baby birthday sewing (whatever that means)

This list may change, of course, but it’s a start! I can’t wait to pull out these “old friends ” and finally give them the TLC they deserve!

P.S. I realize this list is way longer than I can accomplish I’m the first quarter of the year, but I’m counting this as my post for the 2016 Finish-A-Long. Anything I don’t complete can roll over!

  

Christmas has come and gone. Our tree is down, and most of our decorations are in the woodpile. I am finally able to report on the gifts I made for friends and family this year! I decided on potholders. Since I now have in-laws to make for, I thought they would be an easy make, plus they would be fun to personalize and budget-friendly to ship.

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/bd9/55621022/files/2014/12/img_1935.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/bd9/55621022/files/2014/12/img_1936.jpg

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/bd9/55621022/files/2014/12/img_1947.jpg

Can you tell I had fun trying to personalize each pair to the recipient’s style? Everyone really seemed to appreciate them. One of my brother-in-laws especially said he was needing some! The other brother-in-law hadn’t even received his on Christmas because he forgot to check the mail. Oops.

Having attempted potholders in the past, I decided to modify the design this time around. I packed a layer of Insul-Brite between two layers of batting, plus the top and bottom fabrics. My machine was chomping to sew through all those layers! But I think the extra protection is worth it. Plus they can double as trivets this way! Each finishes at about 8 inches square with a 2-3 inch loop for hanging, which is just right average-sized hands, I think!

There’s actually two more sets I’ve not completed, but those are for me. (My old ones are wearing out!) And the sets I made for my oldest friend (longest length of relationship, that is) and my brother will be pictured in another post. But I wanted to go ahead and document these while I have the energy!

Hope y’all had a merry Christmas and joyful holidays!

We’ve reached the home stretch! Decorations are made, favors packaged, thank-you notes written (to date), and vendors confirmed. My two last sewing projects are complete and awaiting their purpose in the next few days!

IMG_1171.PNG

IMG_1172.PNG

IMG_1173.PNG

I used a comb my mother passed to me years ago – not particularly sentimental but sweetly vintage and perfect for this purpose. Initially I edged the tulle in a shimmery bead trim, but the effect was off-putting. Scrounging for what I had on hand, I found a spool of thin, baby blue satin ribbon, and thankfully I had enough for the entire veil! After machine stitching the ribbon and trimming the excess seam allowance, I loosely gathered the tulle and hand-sewed it to the comb. In person, the color is subtle, but it’s the ideal “something blue” I was lacking anyway!

IMG_1175.PNG

IMG_1174.PNG

IMG_1181.PNG

Speaking of color, I had a last-minute inspiration to make a flock of bright birdies! I started with the Spool Bird pattern as inspiration and freehanded a miniature version. These will be part of gift bags my mother and I are assembling for wedding guests staying at the lodge. The remainder will find homes among table decor and fabric flowers and eventually back to me (yay!) – they turned out so sweet that I just want to keep them!

Four more days til I change my last name! So excited – can hardly wait!